August 16, 2011

being a nerd about your job is cool


I will be the first to admit that I am a nerd. But I think that everyone is a bit of a nerd about some things in life. I've been thinking recently about jobs, as I finally embark on a career that really means something to me...and I've decided that I'm kind of a nerd about it.

For the first time in my life, I feel that the work that I am doing is meaningful, and I actually enjoy it. I'm finishing up my last few days as an intern at Amnesty International (which I wrote about here), and was just offered a full time fundraising position at the Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research. I'm extremely excited to start my job there!

Since studying fundraising and learning more about the world of charities, I've realized that I'm a bit of a nerd for my chosen career. The first place I go on a charity's website is their donation page, I get excited about writing grant applications, and I love meeting other fundraisers...in short, I majorly nerd out.

But I don't think that this is a bad thing. I think I've been waiting to feel this way for a very long time. I'm sure that everyone has these same moments, whatever industry you work in. For me, being a nerd about my work goes hand-in-hand with contentment. I also think it makes me work harder and go beyond the call of duty, simply because I WANT to learn more and be challenged.

Do you ever feel the same way? What about your job makes you nerd out?

If you haven't found a job that makes you feel like this, I sincerely hope that you too can find a career that makes you a huge, self-proclaimed nerd!

No comments:

Post a Comment