February 11, 2011

banana chocolate chip loaf - with a hint of lemon!

once again, I should probrably take some sort of food photography class....gah

Everytime I buy bananas and let that last one sit just a bit too long (which doesn't happen often, since I eat bananas like nobodies business) I throw the brownish banana into the freezer to await its future as a baking ingredient. However, the bananas tend to pile up and this morning I opened the freezer and I was attacked by my once dormant bananas. So today was the day to make banana bread. I will be honest, this was my first foray into the world of banana bread, having defaulted to muffins my entire life (for some reason they just seemed easier?!). All seemed to go well. However, the top burned slighlty, while the bottom and sides were fine. If anyone has any pointers on how to keep the top from burning, I'm awaiting your advice! But I'm eating it right  now, and I can safely say its pretty darn delicious tasting. Here is the recipe!

1 cup margarine
3 bananas
2 cups flour (GF or regular - I used Bob's Red Mill GF all-purpose baking mix)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Lots of chocolate chips!

Cream butter and sugar, then beat in eggs, vanilla, bananas, and lemon juice. Mix flour and baking soda, then add into the wet ingredients and beat until entirely mixed. Add choco chips. Entire mixture fits into a 5 x 9 inch loaf pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean out of the center. Makes a decent size loaf, with about 10 slices (depending on how thick you slice it, however). Enjoy topped with lots of butter and accompanied by a cup of tea!

                                                                          --------

While my loaf was baking away (and I nervously checked that it wouldn't burn in my gas stove), I returned to doing a little work on my rag rug. A friend reminded me about the little guy (thanks sabrinablog), and I didn't so much as forget, as kind of put it aside while other things took priority. So progress is being made, and if I continue to work on it consistently, I will soon be able to reveal the finished product. Yay! Hoping it doesn't look like an entire mess. Oy.

Heading out on the town tonight with the boy, perhaps for a little bowling or to shake it a little, not sure yet. Hope you're having a fabulous friday! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment