January 24, 2011

Take care of each other



I was feeling at a loss for blog topics over the last few days, and then I had a conversation with a friend today that really left me thinking afterwards. I have to say, she may be one of the most selfless people I have ever met. I won't go into details, but she takes care of those closest to her even when its a strain on her emotionally and financially. She goes beyond just doing her duty. It made me think about how really caring for those people who are most important to us in our lives goes beyond just doing it out of a sense of responsibilty or obligation.

I'm thinking now of my parents and how for so long they took care of me when I was a child. Invested in me in so many ways, and I never really understood or appreciated that. As I've gotten older, I've become aware of ways that my parents need my help and assistance. It seems so reversed, and some people may think that when it comes to your parents, you will always be their child and they should always care for you. Even now, my parents do more for me than I could ever repay, often going beyond their own means or resources. However, when you begin to see your parents as more than just the people who raised you, and more as the real people that they are, with their faults and struggles and joys, it gives you a bit of a wake up call. I've noticed myself wanting to take care of my parents more the last year or so, partly resulting from some major changes in my family, but also because I'm beginning to feel that for the first time in my life I'm working towards finally having the means to provide for them in some way. And not to say that I'm looking down on them, but just trying to show my intense gratitude for the amazing life I've been given.

I could probrably write so much more, but I really just want to leave this in your memory. Take care of each other. There's nothing more important in life that I can think of than to be really caring for each other, even when it seems to be wearing us thin. Family can change and fluctuate over time, and its easy to try and hold on to how things used to be, but I think the one thing the remains consistent is the love that is there. And that should compel us to care for each other beyond anything else.

So go and hug a sibling or call your mom or plan a visit to see you dad...whatever you need to do to show that you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment