January 21, 2011

Beating the winter blues

Here in Toronto it has been very cold and very windy. At this time of year people tend to be grumpier, more tired, and much more anti-social. It's tempting to just be a hermit and not venture out into the winter wilderness. I've been trying to think of ways to beat the negative winter mood, so that I can try and remain sane until spring. I do tend to stay inside, but have been trying to do activities that are productive or relaxing, instead of just defaulting and watching a movie. I LOVE movies, I'm a big film buff, but I like to have variety in my life. Some things I DO appreciate about winter are:

  1. Hot chocolate
  2. Cute vintage winter coats and hats
  3. All the reading I get done
  4. Cuddling 
  5. Warm flannel pjs
  6. Being buried under layers of blankets
  7. Homemade soup
A few things that I want to do this winter:
  1. Learn to crochet
  2. Keep a cleaner bedroom!
  3. Get back into photography
  4. Cuddle more!
  5. Continue to learn gluten-free cooking/baking
  6. Re-design my blog!
  7. Do all the mending I've been putting off for months

Today was a busy day of rushing from meeting to meeting and being subjected to the "feels like minus a bazillion degrees" weather and braving the horrible winds. When I finally reached the safety and warmth of home, I decided to do two of my favourite things.

Reading in bed!

Baking (and then eating) cupcakes!

And in the spirit of trying to embrace winter, I'm actually going o-u-t-s-i-d-e! I've decided that while being a hermit can lead to wonderful things, its also nice to get out and see friends every once in awhile. So I'm heading out to see a friends band play.

See ya!

2 comments:

  1. I love the quilt on your bed- I'm impressed you were able to get out from under it! (I would definitely have had trouble doing so.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx! I looked for a quilt for years! And I think my bed, and that quilt, is my favourite place in the house.

    ReplyDelete